Saturday, February 05, 2022

ONE-SENTENCE LESSON #14



I once asked a veteran oboe player in the Cleveland Orchestra how often he felt good about his playing. I expected a response like, "every time, man!" I was stunned to hear him say, "I feel great only about 10% of the time." 

It sure didn't sound that way! His playing was always musical and flawless. I wish I had asked him how he did it, but I suppose the answer is obvious. It's why he had that job. 

So, what's the takeaway? 
  • Be encouraged that you can learn to sound great even if your heart isn't always in it. 
  • Fool your listeners. Act the part.
  • Always bring your performance face.
  • Don't depend on feeling great.
  • Turn boring into "bravo!"
  • We all have our 10%. Learn to be convincing on the 90%.  

1 comment:

Mike Sanders said...

Phil, this is so great! I remember Arnold Jacobs telling me something very similar. He told me,"I lie a lot. I'm an old man and I don't feel as good as I did years ago. But I lie to the audience. That way I sound quite good."